Monday, May 01, 2006

Reset Bench 1 Rep Max PR (385)

Today I was planning on setting a new record in my Bench. However I always plan to reset my existing PR (385). On the first attempt I slipped out of my groove on the way up and paused too much half way up. I did get it up on my own, but the movement wasn't progressing at one point. So I took three minutes to prepare for another attempt. This time I had Brendon tighten my weight belt as my shirt kept sliding up to my neck and choking me. I had it so tight around my waist that the shirt didn't budge when I brought my arms up. That made all the difference as my second attempt was very clean and solid.

Here is the video. I didn't bring in my good camera so I had to settle for my Motorola video phone. Sorry about the quality, but for those of you with low bandwidth, practically no wait for you.

Here is today's work:

Flat Bench:

1 x 225, 1 x 315 shirted, 1 x 365 shirted, 1 x 385 shirted (not 100% legal), 1 x 385 shirted (legal), 8 x 275 (2 block), 8 x 295 (4 block), 8 x 315(6 block), 8 x 405 (liftoff only)

I'm rewarding myself with a stop over at the Bountiful Bubble this afternoon on the way home to get in an evening workout (which I'll post tomorrow).

I was very pleased with at least getting the same PR as two months ago as now I have a video, and plan to go up to 395 the end of May (making sure the belt is tight on the first attempt), which should put me at 405 as my first attempt at the Utah Summer Games competition, which isn't sanctioned at all, and I just got word that shirts will be allowed (whew!). I would be thrilled to get 405, but even more so if I can get 425 which will be my third attempt if I can nail 405 and 415.

For those of you with alot of Powerlifting competition experience, can you suggest a cycle I should follow to best prepare for this date (June 24th)?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good job. It looked as though you put the weight up with ease. As for your meet take a look at articles by dave Tate and the people at westside barbell. They have coached many of the best lifters in the world. One thing they suggest that I have not seen in your posts is a speed day. This helps get the weight off the chest and the speed takes you through any sticking point you may have.

Good Luck
Jason