Wednesday, May 03, 2006

DE Shoulders

Today I decided to do a Dynamic Effort Workout (DE) for shoulders since its probably the only non-sore part of my body:

Military Press: 25 x 95, 20 x 115, 12 x 135, 15 x 125
Wide Grip Behind the Neck Pulldowns: 18 x 120, 15 x 130, 12 x 140, 10 x 150
Close Grip Seated Cable Rows: 4 x 18 x 150
Barbell Shrugs: 2 x 15 x 135, 2 x 15 x 135 (reverse grip)
DB Lateral Rows: 2 x 12 x 40, 2 x 15 x 30

The close grip seated cable rows were probably the most intense. I wanted really bad to stop at 15 on several of the sets, but I pushed out 3 more although not very cleanly.

Its weird to do more than 12 reps. I've tried to avoid reps more than 12 in the past, but I hope that the DE concept actually produces fruit for me. I have tomorrow off work, which means that I'll also be taking tomorrow as a rest day from lifting. Friday = ARMS!

I also had a question for Jason Paris(or Dave Tate) regarding the 3 lifts at 90% or more. I probably should find out what my 1 rep max is raw, but I'm nervous about screwing up my shoulder with a non shirted one rep max.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gord - DE work should be 8setx3reps at around 55-60% of your military press. The weight is light, but speed is what your are driving for. Apply the same amount of force to the bar, as if you were lifting a max weight. Most save the DE/ME work for the big 3, but some strongman use this system for overhead pressing, as well. I am by no means an expert, but I understand the basics. email me, if you have any questions.

Anonymous said...

OK - I got it totally wrong then. I did focus on speed in my reps though, with the weights at the right percentage I think, but the number of reps were way too high. With more focus on the speed aspect. I haven't been sore at all, so maybe those fast twitch muscles weren't "shocked" enough. Thanks for the correction.