Thursday, May 25, 2006

395 bench - new PR

I was building up mentally all day for this lift. I planned on going down at fifteen minutes till noon to warm up. Man it takes a long time to get ready. It really did take 15 minutes to prepare. When Christian and Luke showed up I had the weights all ready.

The camera was acting up on me, so I didn't get it filmed as I felt pressured to hurry it up as Luke and Christian were waiting for me.

I put the leather belt on the third notch in to keep the shirt down low. I felt the weight coming down real slow, but on the way up, I went out of my groove and the weight shifted left at which point I called for help. The weight felt so light coming down, I knew it was going back up. That was very reassuring, so I made a 2nd attempt a few minutes later.

Christian also suggested that I move the bench a little lower and allow him and Luke to give me a liftoff. I agreed, and I think that helped.

On the second attempt I took the weight down slow too. When I stopped at the bottom I pushed it up hard and fast. At the same sticking point (about 1/3 way up) I screamed it out literally past that transition point and it went up strong! I felt great with it. I'm just bummed I couldn't video it so I can critique it afterwards. They both said it was strict and looked good. At any rate, I was very pleased with the 2nd attempt.

I did four more one rep sets of 315 without a shirt focusing on squeezing my shoulder blades together and that felt good. I didn't do anymore after that, because I plan on getting off at 3:15 to reward myself with a trip to the Bubble for a full chest workout with some good equipment.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Nice PR Gords. How much more do you think you're good for? Impressive!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Rick, Well this next month I'm going to start tapering for the June 24th Event. My goal is to start with 395, 2nd attempt do 405, and if I get that go for 415 on my 3rd.

Anonymous said...

Congrats Gords!!! I can only imagine what it will feel like when you break 400. That said, unless the bar snaps it ain't heavy. :-)