Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Trying to break my pencil neck

Today I focused on neck:

DB Front Raises all the way up to ceiling: 4 x 8 x 25
Standing Preacher Rows: 8 x 95, 8 x 105, 8 x 115, 8 x 135
Shrugs: 8 x 135, 3 x 8 x 185
Cable Neck Extensions: 8 x 10, 2 x 8 x 20, 8 x 30

I don't know who bought a neck harness which has been in the gym for ages, but doubtfully everused for its proper purpose, but I tried it out today. The weight was too easy. One of the clamps was missing on the end of the harness so I had to rig some stupid contraption together to get it functional. It would have been funny to video. I had a small BB end spring attached to the end with a lat rope attached to that and the other end of the harness, then a chain connected to the pulley system attached to the rope in the middle. It wasn't very comfortable, but it did the trick.

I wonder if my neck will be sore. It felt like a decent workout, and I did an exercise I've never done before in my life. We'll see. My chest is sore from yesterday which is good.

I got my tax return back last night, I'm still on cloud 9 with the rebate I'm getting. Yahoo!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Targeting the neck seems like a good idea, and definitely something I should be doing. I occasionally do shrugs and a bit of manual resistance work, but I've never tried a harness.

Out of curiosity, what sort of size (circumference) is a pencil neck?

Anonymous said...

I don't really consider myself to have a pencil neck, but I'm sure there are some big guys who would beg to differ.

Sometimes in moments when I've been overly proud my wife says I have a big head, so my neck would need to support it I guess. Man is the back of my neck sore this morning.

Anonymous said...

I have around 18.5 - 19 inch neck (at least thats the shirts I like best without being choked!

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... at 16.5 - 17, it looks like I've got some work to do :)

Anonymous said...

Along with that though is the baggage of probably a 54 inch gut. So there's tradeoffs, unless you are a total bodybuilder.