Monday, March 06, 2006

My body has declared war on Squats

Today even though my lower back was sore (from what I have no idea), I decided to do Squats to start out my workout today. Here is what I did:

Squats from 12" block (no belt): 8 x 185, 6 x 225, 1 x 275

I planned on doing 4 reps of 275, but on the way down about an inch or two before reaching the block my lower back did something that I cannot describe, but it was intensely painful. I barely got back up from the seated position. I tried bending over to do a toe touch but the pain was too much. I had to stand straight up to avoid pain. Even getting off the 25 and 45 pound weights from the bar was painful if I didn't stand completely erect.

My back was actually feeling great after the 225, but just that one 275 unbelted took me out. I think I'm going to give up on squats altogether. I'll still do leg presses and girly leg machines, but my back just has never been very kind to me. I still want to do Deadlifts (Just romanian for now), but squats are out of the picture for me.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

what have you been doing to strengthen your lower back to try and prevent this kind of injury?
I hope you have a fast recovery but don't give up on squats just strengthen the weak point before going heavy again.

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't declare squats out of the picture until you find out exactly what happened with your back. It may not be the squats causing the pain.

Hope it isn't anything too serious.

Anonymous said...

Well - someone suggested recently to avoid using the belt as the weight I'm squatting isn't all that much. By using a belt and/or knee straps I'm not making my back or knees any stronger. So for the past month or so I've not used either and I haven't really missed them. I felt really good about the squat workout and didn't experience any pain at all until that one little moment when it all came at once.

The point where it is definitely my lower back and not my glutes, but it is more on the right side of my spine. I think what I may have done is I twisted a little coming down or something.

At any rate, I would say that my back was 25% functional in that I could move as fast as a really old man. However my back is probably at 85% now in that I still have some pain, but am able to move around almost normal. I still will be taking the rest of the week of.

To answer your question, I think another area that my be contributing to my week points is my midsection. I need to do more ab work, including my lower lats.

If I decide to go back to squats I'm going to keep it under 200 pounds until I'm in love with them like you are Stinn.

Anonymous said...

I know the exact injury you are talking about. Let me guess: you felt a shock go up your side, you saw stars, and it knocked the breath out of you. It was probably hard for you to breathe afterward.

Both times that it happened to me it was because I lost tightness at the bottom and may have twisted ever so slightly. The first time, the pins were a bit too high and when the bar touched the pins, I lost my concentration. Second time, same thing onto a 10" box.

When you do ab work, also include endurance back work (lots of controlled reps) and rotational/other than sagittal plane work. Kris (at Tsampa.org) uses heavy bag training; I do a lot of endurance and rotational work with a weighted sled and handles or cables. You'll get better as I did, I squatted days later, belted for added protection and smarter for the experience.

Anonymous said...

Core work is very important for a strong squat, hit the core hard and then get back to the squatting. Once you have a stable mid section I wouldn't worry about the lower back. I've had my fair share or lower back problems and I know how painful and debilitating they can be. Go get a good massage(A.R.T. if possible) and you'll feel 100% better I'm sure.