Saturday, August 30, 2008

New PR in the 5K - 22:59

Today I did the Pocatello 5K. Cathi did the Marathon. We spent the night last night at Grandma and Grandpa Richins. We went up to Becky and Kyle's where they had a nice pasta dinner prepared for us. It was so good. I was so full I bet I weighted nearly 200 when I went to bed. Last night at 10:30pm Cathi said, "Gordon! I forgot to bring a sports bra!" So we went out to Fred Meyer and picked one up, just before they closed. That would be like leaving my shoes at home.

We woke up at 5am and I drove Cathi over to the Bus stop where they drove her up the canyon in Inkom. I went back home got another hour or so of sleep, had some breakfast and then drove over to Ross park. Then took a bus to the 5K starting line.

When I started, I put a buzz bite in my mouth and it lasted through the whole race. At the end I had to spit out what was left cause my mouth was so dry and I was getting sick of the taste of it.

I started near the front and stayed near the front the whole time. I ran the whole time. Didn't walk, even to drink. I gulped the water as I jogged. I got gatorade all over me. There was a pretty good tailwind so that was helping me too.

I took the GPS, but never really referred to it. So next time I'm not taking it. I referred to my watch instead at the mile markers. The finish was the same finish as the 10K, the Half Marathon, and the Marathon. I finished with a time of 22:59. That is almost a whole minute faster than my previous time.

I took 4th in the 35-59 M category which really surprised me. I took 14th out of 65. I'm really stoked that I did so well. There was a guy who was ahead of me who would run/walk. He would run about 100 yards ahead of me and then walk until I got about 10 yards up to him and then he'd run again. When we got within 300 yards of the finish line. His run had progressively gotten slower to the point where I caught him on the last 200 yards of his run and was able to increase the distance between me and him. I sprinted the last 100 yards to the end. It felt so good to finish really strong like that.

Here is a link to the official results.

No comments: