Saturday, August 30, 2008

"Run the Gap" - 2008 Pocatello Marathon 3:45:49

Today was my 11th marathon. It was in Pocatello. I ran this marathon a few years ago and did terrible. So I wondered how this one would go. I ate a buzz bite from mile 17 to 20 and that helped me get over that hump. When I would hit a certain mile marker I would look at my watch and think, "I could make Boston if I hurry."

When I turned the last corner I saw what I thought was the finish line. I found out when I got there that it was just an advertisement for the marathon and not the finish line. Just around a bend I could see about 1/4 mile further was the real finish line. I started walking for about one second, and then thought to myself, I can do this, I'm going to finish strong so I immediately started to run again. About 200 yards before the finish Gordon saw me and ran towards me and ran with me through to the finish.

I qualified for Boston! I never thought I would do it. My time was 3:45:49. I was very happy! We checked the computer display at the end that showed the results and I took 2nd in my division (F 35-39). We went back to Grandma and Grandpa's to shower and get Jonas. Then came back for the awards ceremony. Here is some video and a picture:

Here is a link to the official results.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cathi,

Just running 1 marathon seems like such a big deal to me, let alone 11. And qualifying for Boston is a huge accomplishment. Congratulations! I'm really impressed!

Anonymous said...

Cathi,

Congratulations!!!! We are so proud of you! You are amazing and an inspiration to all of us. GO BOSTON!!! Love, Kris, Scott & kids