Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Got my bike and first ride (and flat)


Yesterday late afternoon I went by Bikers Edge in Kaysville and picked up my bike. Shannon was the person who helped me. I also bought:

  • A good helmet

  • A waterbottle and cage which rests between the aerobars

  • New peddles and Tri shoes - The shoes allow for better draining of water since coming from water. Thy are also well padded so they can be worn without socks. They also can be left right on the peddles and have a real easy way to tighten while attached to the pedal.

  • A stationary trainer stand - for those days when its rainy or cold or need to stay home, but need to still train.

  • Cat eye computer - They guy who installed it for me had the cadence and speed sensors switched so I had to reinstall it properly.

  • A decent lock for when I need to lock the bike up

  • A stowaway case for going under my seat (which is tiny by the way).

  • Biker shorts - so nice to have the padding in the crotch. The seat is tiny and relatively hard.



Shannon told me to practice on grass and getting in and out of the pedals. I didn't really do that as I felt comfortable with it after a few tries.

I put the water bottle cage on and set it up with my GPS on top of it and mp3 off to the side. The water bottle can stay in place and there is an extendable straw so I don't have to move it. I can just keep my hands on the aero bars.

They fit me to the bike and made some adjustments to maximize the best power and comfort. I went home and went on a quick 13 mile ride. Felt great.

Then this morning I rode in to work. I biked through West Layton - Farmington. When I got to Shepherd Lane and Shepherd Creek Parkway there is a 4 way stop there. I obeyed Shannon's advice to make sure to twist my left foot out of the clip before I get to stop sign. But I rested my foot on the pedal thinking I was clear, but it had clicked back in without me realizing it and here I was stuck with both feet in the clips at a complete stop. I wasn't expecting it or I would've tried the balancing trick that I used to do fairly well back in the day.

There was a school bus, several other cars in the intersection and they must have laughed watching me struggle to get my left foot out real quick, but ended up just falling on my left side. In embarrassment I hurried to get to my feet, but my foot was still locked in and I fell again! I felt so dumb. Kind of wish I had a video of it so I could youtube it. There was a little scuffing on the left of my handlebars, but no other visible damage to the bike. I was bleeding just a little on my left knee, but seriously not bad. Could've been alot worse. Took a minute for the gawkers to move on while I moved to the sidewalk, adjusted my mp3, GPS and water bottle which had spilled 1/2 way all over the road.

I continued on down Shepherd Lane and went through the heart of Farmington down to the Frontage road in Centerville (which doesn't have a good shoulder for bikes by the way!) Crossed over I-15 on Parrish Lane overpass then went through West Bountiful - Woods Cross - 3300 W in SLC down to 700 N and then cut through my old Morton Meadows neighborhood and got to 400 N and Redwood and turned that corner to connect with the Constitution Park trail when I noticed I had a flat on my back tire. I turned around and headed north on Redwood to go up to my parents house (625 N Redwood) and noticed that within 1/2 block it went from flat to completely dead. I jumped off before it was dead and switched into my work shoes and walked the rest of the way to my parents house.

When I started walking the odometer read 33 miles. With a 17.5 mph average. I will have to repair the flat when I get back from our Hungary trip. Cathi and I are going to Hungary and I'm gonna miss my new toy! I was really nervous this morning when I left thinking the weight of the 20 lb duffel bag on my back, and the slimness of the seat would leave me suffering all afternoon. I don't even think I'm sore! That was seriously one of the funnest rides I've ever done. I just wish I hadn't got that flat! I will definitely do this again. Just think! I can workout, save gas and get to work without dealing with traffic all at the same time!

So fun!

No comments: