Sunday, April 20, 2008

Cathi's SLC Marathon for Andrea - 4:04:19

While Austin and I were at the Utah Valley Open Tournament Cathi was downtown SLC running a marathon. I am going to copy what she wrote in her journal:

Today was an excellent run! I got in the "grove" right away and could tell that it wasn't going to be tedious. It was going to be a "gazelle" day. I had a picture of Andrea on my shirt. Just a few people asked me about here. I gave the opening prayer at her funeral She had been at the U of U hospital from injuries she got in a fall. It got infected so they had to reoperate and during that surgery she didn't get enough oxygen to her brain. It was very sad.

Here are the things I will miss most about Andrea:
  • How she squeeled with delight and said "Oh, Cathi Gridley!" That always made me feel so good!

  • How she'd cover her mouth and laugh so cute.

  • How she'd pat my hand when she sat next to me

  • How she'd write me little notes and put them in a baggie with a purple zipper and put a mini candy bar with them.

  • She'd bring the kids all a mini candy bar when she came to visit.

  • She' come on a Friday night and bring a movie. We'd get pizza and spend the evening watching Jungle Book and sang and danced.

  • She love our dates Sat at 2:00 and we'd go to the Centerville Dairy Queen and get a Blizzard. Then she couldn't wait to write on the calendar our next date.

  • She was forgiving if I'd forget a date, which I did a few times even though she was very disappointed.

  • She gave out birthday invitations MONTHS in advance because she loved her parties.

  • She'd look at you with big intent eye and push her lips together.

  • She'd sayd "YES" when she was excited about something.


I will miss Andrea Phillips! I was one of her favorites and she was one of mine. So I ran the race in her honor.

I felt great the whole race. It started at the University of Utah and went down to 6400 S. Then from 2300 E to 500 E then to 1700 S then to 400 S to 400 W to the Gateway. My new MP3 music walkman would not work so I was out of luck then. I only really talked to 2 people.

Gordon and Austin were at a Table Tennis Tournament so my cheerleaders were Marcia, Elayna, Stacey and Kaylee at Miles 16 and 22. It was so refreshing to see them and it meant so much to me that they would come to cheer.

Then at the finish line was Steven, Meg (Steve's Girlfriend) and Michele, Madison and Taylor. Steve found me right at the end and hugged me. We found the others and chatted for a bit. I was so grateful for my cheerleaders today!

My finishing time was 4:04:19. That is my best time by over 3 minutes. San Diego, June 6th, 2004 I got 4:07:24. I looked at my watch at the 1/2 marathon mark and it said 2:02. That means that I was on track for my best time ever. Especially on the last 6 miles or so I could tell my pace was rockin! I picked it up for the last mile. I had a little bit left.

What an awesome race! I liked the course. A lot of down and just a little bit up. There was wind against us on our way south on the first half. Then the wind pushed us to the finish. A gust would come every once in a while and I would think this is a gift from Heavenly Father.

I cried at the end. It was so emotional to finish and finish so hard. No walking today! Great Great Race!

No comments: