Saturday, April 19, 2008

2008 Utah Valley Open Table Tennis Tournament

Austin and I got to the Pleasant Grove Community center at 8:10 and helped John Pratt set up the tables.

At 9:00 the age group events started and Austin played five other boys. He lost one game, but after the event three boys had all lost one match to each other for a three way tie. So it went down to how had won the most/lost the least. Austin had lost only 3 matches so he took the first place medal. Jason Jung took second and the boy who took third was they guy that Austin lost his 3 matches to. It's weird how some styles can do better against other specific styles. Austin played a friendly rematch afterwards and won so he felt better.

In the afternoon Austin and I played doubles but lost all of our matches. We didn't play so hot together.

In the late afternoon Austin played in the B division Singles and I played in the A division singles.

In determining which division each player would be in there was a ladder competition. I beat Nanda 3-0 and then lost to Meg 0-3. But the matches with Meg were tight and had several really good rallies.

I had to play Bryce Parkinson first. He won the first match and then I won the next three matches for the win. Bryce is a fantastic looper, but he landed maybe only one loop during all the matches. Just wasn't his day.

I then played Lonnie. He is from Pleasant Grove and a more tactical player that likes to serve fast, and also hits quickly off the bounces. He had beaten me 2 to 0, but I came back and won three in a row for the win.

I then played Paul. Paul is David To's old coach from Rock Springs. I've beaten Paul before, but it isn't easy. Paul won the first game, but I won the next three for the win.


I then played Kelvin who is also a Utah County local, I beat him three in a row. This put me undefeated in the division and I won first place! I was rated 1354 before this tournament and am very eager to find out what my new rating will be. Both Bryce and Lonnie are rated higher than that so I'm hoping to be in the 1400's finally. We'll see.

So Austin and I both won individual 1st place medals. Austin - 14 and Under. Gordon - Class A division.

There were about 18 people in this tournament. Much less than the 32 maximum. Not sure of the reasons why. Last year's tournament wasn't as organized and the rapid ranker system ruffled alot of feathers last year with people. This year though was a round robin and tables were constantly being utilized. The tournament this year was a night and day improvement in its organization and flow. Dr. John Pratt held a great tournament this year. For those who are higher ranked in the state that did not play. If the reasons were to protect points. Shame on you!

No comments: