Saturday, September 06, 2008

New Record - Longest Bike ride so far - 80 miles

This morning was the Gridley 16 mile Race. We met out at Saltair out near Tooele and biked 8 miles east towards Salt Lake and then back.

There were 6 participants: Eric, Mom, Dad, Cathi and Isaac (riding tandem), and myself. Eric and I started out together and rotated taking the lead every 2 miles. When we turned around Eric said to rotate every mile. He started the first mile of the 2nd half, where after one mile back I took the lead again. When he was supposed to take over I looked behind me and he was about 20 yards back. I wasn't about to slow down so I just kept the same pace. I was able to maintain a 22-23 mph pace when I was in front.

When I got back I looked down and the stats were:

Distance: 16 Miles
Time: 43:20
Average Speed: 22.0 mph

I was pleased with that time. I was expected around 50 minutes. I went back a couple of times to support Dad in his finish, and then Cathi and Mom. When the race was over I had put in about 22 miles. I took this picture.

I was feeling like I need more so I biked home from there. I wanted to beat my PR of 70 miles in one day and get in 80 miles today so when I got home I still had 10 miles so I went out to Clearfield and back. When I got back it was 80 miles even. Here are the total stats including the race:

Distance: 80 miles
Time: 4:16
Average speed: 18.7

I was feeling tired at the end but not so much that I collapsed. I think 100 would be tough. Need to build up even more stamina for this Fall's Pocatello - Syracuse Ride!

No comments: