Monday, February 06, 2006

Back to work

Last Thursday and Friday Bala tempted me to play ping pong (which was very enjoyable by the way) so my lifting those days was passed up. Which I felt OK about since I had the Evanston Tournament this weekend. I did better than I anticipated and took 5th in the A division.

I know that powerlifting is a passion, and table tennis was a passion. This week I was confronted with making a choice between the two as the Utah Summer Games events that I'm interested in (Powerlifting and Table Tennis) conflict with each other so I without hesitation am going to register for powerlifting.

Today I brought the camera which I usually forget so I felt obliged to video some squats and deadlifts for your feedback.

Here is what I did:

Squats: 12 x 185, 2 x 6 x 225
Deadlift: 8 x 225

Here is the video (Only 1 MB)

At this point my back was shot and I didn't want to do anything which I would regret later so I stopped. Notice that the wrap on my right knee came off one the second 225 set. I didn't wear the wraps on the first set of 225 because they aren't long enough. I can barely get them around my legs 4 times. Does anyone else struggle with wraps coming off? Is there a good method for wrapping them?

By the time I did my deadlifts my lower back was already in bad shape, and my form I know is awful. After viewing it I can tell you right now, I don't think I'm going low enough. My legs aren't taking much of the work it doesn't appear.

Let me know what you think.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

for the squats you dont seem to break parallel on a lot of the reps and when you do it looks like you bouncing off your haunches and its throwing your knees even further forward.

try a wider stance, and try putting the bar across your traps on the groove of the rear delts instead of on top of the traps, and reak parallel. no need for a belt or knee wraps at this stage imho.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the response! I noticed that I was bouncing at the bottom. I'll go with the wider stance and stopping completely at the bottom before pushing up.

I'll video again after a couple rounds of practicing these techniques to see if I improve at all.

Thanks again John.