Monday, April 20, 2009

Running the last 10K of the Boston Marathon

Cathi and I took the red line train up to Park Street. Cathi got off to get on the buses to go to the start while I took the green line to Newton Center and walked a half mile up to Commonwealth Road to the base of Heartbreak hill @ mile 19. I got there at about 7:45 and waited and froze in the slight wind until 11:00 am. There was a concession stand that offered hot chocolate. I must have purchased 6 cups throughout the morning. I was shivering like a little girl. I saw the wheelchair entrants zoom past, then a double amputee guy with long metal legs come next, then the fastest ladies, then the fastest men. Then I waited for another couple hours.

I was getting text messages on my phone when she got to the 10K (6.2 m), 1/2 marathon (13.1 m), and 30K (18.6 m). I was at mile 19 so I knew once I got the last text message she would be there in just a couple minutes. I started stretching out real good at 1:30pm. Then I got the 30K heads up on my phone. I saw her in just a couple minutes and she had a huge smile on her face. She was so excited to have me join her at the start of heartbreak. I'm glad I was able to do that because we just zoomed up that hill. We were passing people left and right. We had to navigate in and out of slower runners. It was cool because I was able to help motivate Cathi to pick up her pace even up that hill. Her pace time just kept getting better and better.

There were thousands of people cheering on the sides the whole time. Lots of high fives, people offering sliced oranges, water, and even kisses. I declined everything. I stayed ahead of Cathi trying to be like a carrot in front of her. Not too far though. Just enough to help guide her in and out of the runners in front who were slowing down and needed to pass. It worked out great. I felt wonderful and lots of energy. When we saw Bill and Roceil at mile 25 I was going to bail, but Cathi asked me to stay longer so I stayed until the route turned at 26 just before the finish line. I found a small gap in the cheering section on the side and jumped and over the barrier.

Within a minute I got her last text message. Her time was 4:10. Not bad. I had a great time and would love to be able to do the whole thing if I ever get that fast.

No comments: