Friday, June 20, 2008

Table Tennis Results

Austin took the gold medal in the 14 and under Division as well as the 17 and Under Division. Not bad considering he just turned 12. He had to play against several older players and was able to go the day undefeated.

Then we played Doubles. We beat Bryce Parkinson/Matt Pugmire team. That was tough. They had us 2-0 and we came back to win three in a row. Then we played Bruce and Dale Majors and lost all three, but they were all 2 point loss games.

Then we played Unsicker brothers who are also from Syracuse. We won 3-1. Then we played Doug Hansen and Jeff St. Clair and lost 0-3. Not bad.

Didn't have a camera, so I'm waiting to get pics from Dale on Austin on the stand with his gold medals.

On Saturday Austin and I played our Singles matches. I played Bryce Parkinson in the ladder for determining whether I would play in the A division or the Open (The highest division). I beat Matt 3-2 to make into the Open Division. This took alot of stress of of me, because in the Open, there is nothing to lose. Every player in that division is ranked higher than I am. I am the underdog so I went out playing very well. I took one game off of every single player in that division. No shut outs, except from George Majors who also took the Gold for the Open division. I lost to Carol Davis which was a disappointment. I usually beat her, but I was impatient with her chops and made risks that just didn't deliver. I did beat Doug Hansen 3-1 which was a shock. He's rated over 100 points above me.

Austin lost his ladder match to Eric Holje which put him in the B Division. He was a little disappointed with that. Personally I was relieved, because it meant that he would be in a division where he would be able to really do well. He also was in the same division as Matt Pugmire, which is the closest player to Austin ranking wise. In the Utah Open, Austin lost to Matt which was his goal. He cried that day. So I helped him get a little more motivation to beat Matt and offered him $10 if he could beat him. He was able to do it. He went undefeated in his division and beat out 8 other people to take Gold.

Here is the medal breakdown:

Gordon - 2 Gold
Cathi - 3 Silver
Austin - 3 Gold
Jacob - 1 Gold, 1 Silver

Here is the whole family after picking up the two that were left in Salt Lake with Grandma Gridley.

No comments: