Monday, February 23, 2009

Results of 2009 Western Open

Last Friday morning, Austin, Jacob and I drove to Sacramento. The drive was long and the boys just watched movie after movie on the laptop which I had hooked up to a power converter in the car. When we got there I was surprised at how big Cathi's house is. Very roomy. Nice neighborhood and she made us some delicious Spaghetti and rolls. Watched Madagascar 2 with them.


The next morning we got up at 5:00 and drove 85 miles to UCBerkley where the tournament was. We immediately saw Yau-man Chen when we got there. He's our favorite all time Survivor.
We knew he played table tennis and got him to sign a ball for us. We also got Ethan Chua to sign a ball for us as well as Ariel Hsing. Austin and Jacob both played in three events. Austin played 10 people total, he won 5 and lost 5. Jacob played 9 people total. He lost all nine, but he looked like he was having fun. Probably too much fun. He wasn't getting into it and not very serious in his play. It's good to see that he isn't playing as emotionally as Austin (who sometimes appears to be on the verge of crying in the middle of a game), but it's also frustrating to see him nonchalantly serve and return the ball and miss most of them. I think I'll pull him out of competition until he can take the game a little more seriously.


I only played one event (1550 and Under). I beat everyone in my group (three people). I was the second seed by a hair in the group. I then played in the first single elimination round and lost (all the games were deuce games except the third). I played well defensively, but only made a few shots offensively. I need more confidence and consistency to play offensively. The control box for our robot should get here this week and I'll be practicing more on it. So my overall win score was 3 wins, 1 loss.

I think I might have gained just a couple of points is all, if any. Austin may have the same kind of result. While Jacob is still rated so low even though he didn't win anything probably wont lose any points.

On the way back to Cara's we stopped and had pizza at Round Table Pizza. We had a fun time on this trip and hope to do this again next year. We'll bring Lucy next time so she can stay and play with Makayla. Cara sure has some cute kids!

No comments: