Wednesday, May 05, 2010

The legs must go on

Monday I ran 3 miles and yesterday I was significantly sore. About a 5. Yesterday I still spent a good 30 minutes on the elliptical as well. Weighed in at 203 this morning. This morning it was cloudless at 6am so I geared up and rode off. What a perfect ride. No wind at all.

My fingers were freezing for the first 30 minutes, but they eventually warmed up. The soreness of my legs had no impact on my performance and I was able to ride all the way to work without pain or fatigue.

I took a new route. I turned left on Angel at 200 N in Kaysville and hooked up to a new bike path that was created on top of some old abandoned railroad tracks. The pavement is smooth, there are no cars and there are no obstacles to watch out for. Granted I have to slow down every time I come to a road and go around some barriers, but its worth it to get a lower MPH average to not have to worry about cars, or new bumps in the road.

It takes me all the way down to the bottom of Shepherd lane. Then I resume my normal route down to the Legacy trail.

Today's ride was 1:36. Got to work at 8:35. Good stuff.

----------------------------------------
The ride home was completely different. It was very windy all from the North, so I had a headwind almost the whole way. It took me 1:55 to get home. I told myself that I wasn't going to just coast home, but not kill myself trying to fight the wind.

I was going along Legacy trail when I saw a skunk cross the trail about 50 yards up. It went up to the fence on the left side and couldn't go under, so it started heading along the fence in my direction. I slowed down. It stopped, I stopped. Then I wondered if I should move forward or what. I did so and it immediately put its tail up towards me and exposed its bum. I didn't know what to do so I just kept going muttering "Please don't shoot me, please don't shoot me." going about 3 miles an hour. I was waiting for a massive spray to hit me at 10 feet away, but I was lucky. It didn't and I was able to move on. My heart was beating fast and I was shaking. I've heard that getting sprayed by a skunk is about as fun as having your head shoved up someone's butt.

No comments: