Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Heavy Chest workout

I read today in this article that its probably best to do your hardest/heaviest lifts first so you aren't tired by the time you get to them so I started today with Incline Press.

Incline Bench: 3 x 4 x 225
Flat Bench: 5 x 4 x 295
DB Flys: 6 x 50, 3 x 4 x 55
Pushups: 50

For the first time in my life lifting alone, the weight came back down on me when I didn't have a spotter. I was on my first set of Incline Press. I finished my fourth rep and got one side back on the rack, but couldn't get my left one up on the rack. The rack was too high beyond my lockout and I couldn't arch my back enough to get it up and over the edge. I started to panic just a little and unracked the other side so I could bring it back down. I knew that because it was incline I could weasle it down my front and muscle it off my lap. I was at about 45 degree angle. I was so glad it wasn't more than 225. Scared me though cause I've never had a situation like that before.
I fixed the situation by using the small posts for the weight and then the long posts for a backup system which was just an inch below my chest so I could use that if I ever have that problem again.

I set up the rack similarly for the flat bench too since I've never worked with 295 as the main weight before. The 295 sets felt very heavy and several times the little wimpy voice in my head said to give up as the first rep was coming down, but I didn't heed. In fact I ended up doing the optional 5th set that I wrote down instead of the mandatory 4. I also made pushups optional which I did. 50 pushups isn't too bad after a heavy workout. The only thing is my gut hits the floor instead of my chest and I seem to not go as far down as a result. I haven't gained a whole lot of weight lately, but I remember when I was all gung ho over pushups when I was working security and didn't have half the gut that I do now.

After Cathi has the baby we have some serious goals to lose weight together. At that point I'm going to have to do some cardio and stick with it.

No comments: