Monday, December 12, 2005

Procrastinate not the day of your leg work

Usually Monday's are my anticipated chest days. But today I had promised myself a focus on legs this week. I even was hoping for a "killer" leg workout. Unfortunately I fell far short of considering this a "killer" workout, however I did do a couple of new exercises, and also focused on form rather than weight. Here is what I did:

Alternating between:

Bulgarian Squat: 4 sets of 2 x 8 x 50, 2 x 8 x 40
and
Box Squats: 4 sets of 12 x 135

At this point I was ready to throw in the towel. I was fatigued and lost all motivation, but I did not succumb to my lazy thoughts and did one more superset alternating between:

Dumbell Side Step Ups: 4 sets of 16 x 60, 8 x 60, 2 x 10 x 60
and
SLDL: 4 sets of 8 x 135

The chair for doing the Dumbell Side Step Ups was too wide and not very stable so I didn't like those at all. I did enjoy the SLDL's though. I almost did just two sets though because I was drained.

So while I did get through my goal sets for today, I definitely did not exceed my plans. I do believe though that I will be sore since I've done a couple of exercises that I have never done before regardless of the light weight. I did not leave psyched up and happy about today's work, but I wasn't cussing myself out either.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bulgarian squats do not look to be fun at all. Good job pushing through the workout.

Anonymous said...

how low was the box and how did the box squats feel?

dont think it was a bad workout by any stretch, but by the sounds of your post workout mood it wasnt the killer you were after either.

...

i think a "killer" squat workout is vital everynow and again, it helps to realign your own perception of exertion for leg training - and i find this carries over into the rest of your training also.

im sure you would get some very useful input if you were to try again next week, starting with squats, but also filming all the squat sets for depth and posting the vid.

Anonymous said...

I didn't actually use a box, but a chair. I noticed that in the sitting position that my quads were parallel to the floor. Is that OK, or does it need to go deeper? Next week, I'll record the squats and post it. Thanks for the encouragement guys!

Anonymous said...

you should really be 'just breaking parallel'. but once you post up next weeks vids you will get plenty of good feedback.

(i think the with the lighter weight/higher rep squatting - then go as deep as possible. but thats just my personal opinion - and one im sure not everyone will agree)