Wednesday, November 23, 2005

First time doing SLDL

Today I did a fairly tough legs routine (at least for me):

Squats - 3 sets of 10 x 165, 5 x 225, 3 x 275
SLDL - 3 sets of 10 x 115, 8 x 135, 6 x 185
Quad Extensions - 3 sets of 10 x 90, 6 x 135, 4 x 180
Hamstring Curls - 3 sets of 10 x 45, 8 x 60, 6 x 75

This is the first time doing SLDL. After visitng Stinn's site, I've decided I need to start doing these. I started with a really light weight and focused on form and quality reps and found that I could probably do these in the low 200's range on a normal basis. I got the feeling that these work the same muscles used in doing Good Morning's which I've been wary of doing reading from Kris' workouts. I've tried Good Mornings and have nightmares of having an injury similar to what Kris went through, but I really like these SLDL's because they are safer in that if the weight is too much, worst case scenario... drop it! But with Good Morning's, my face could end up on the mat!

I felt distinct tightness just after the workout, but now a few hours later, tightness is gone, I imagine I will definitely be sore this weekend.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice one on trying the SLDL, most trainees have underdeveloped hams and posterior chain in general - or overdeveloped quads (however you look at it)

you may also want to try romanian deadlifts as some people find it activates the hamstrings better depending on their mechanics.

ive linked you from my blog enjoy ;)

Anonymous said...

I love SLDLs they are the bomb. They do work almost the exact same as good mornings but I find they focus more on spinal erectors whereas the good mornings, for me at least, hit my glutes harder.
If you want to try some "safe" good mornings do them off of pins. YOu can do them heavier this way too.

Anonymous said...

I'm still paying the price for that good morning injury... That said, suspended good mornings and good mornings off pins are wholly different beasts that take off the stress associated with the reversal from decent to ascent. This is where most of the good morning injuries happen, including mine, due to the precarious position combined with the reversal stress. Even I feel safe doing these, but I would follow the new trends at Westside where lifters more and more use GMs for reps. Stiff-legs are fun, I've always been able to stiff-leg much more for reps than I can squat (strong hams, non-existent quads). :-)

Keep up the great work!

Anonymous said...

I am with you on Good Mornings. I do not care for them one bit I hear that they are so good for you so I do them but light and sometimes in the smith rack. I do SLDL all the time and think they are great. A Good Morning just seems to hit things different enough that I cannot replace them with SLDL. Have you tried the glute ham raise machine. That works wonders and I do not feel bad about skipping the GM when I get a chance to do them. Good luck. If you get a chance check out my blog sometime.
http://weight-trianing.blogspot.com/
Jason

Anonymous said...

If my CNS is a bit fried from DLs, GMs are the best alternative because I can work my erectors without holding a weight in my hands like SLDL, RDL, DL. That said, I rarely do singles without a shitload of focus and the pins set, for the same worry you have. I usually like triples and fives for GMs, and some lifters (like Ano Turtianen) have mentioned doing reps because they've become so strong at GMs that they risk injury doing singles - - - that's scary strong.