Monday, November 21, 2005

375 lb bench - Not legal though!

I was happy to get up 375 pounds today (Here is the video - 1.5MB) on my bench press max, however after reviewing the video, I was disappointed with the failure to stop at the bottom but bounced the weight off.

The weight did not stop but progressively went up, so that's good.

Just for kicks I tried 385, but knew going down that it wasn't going to happen.

I was happy with the lift until I saw the video. Actually I'm not going to count this lift since I have proof that it would have been disqualified in a meet. I'll try 375 again in four weeks where I'll make sure to pause at the bottom of the lift. Let me know what else I can work on. I fould the rules for a good lift here -> http://www.hickoksports.com/rules/rpowerlift.shtml#bp

I've also realized that I should always video my PR's to make sure they are legit. Who knows? Since I didn't video my 365, I may have had crappy form on that one too!

Any tips from fellow powerlifters out there on bench techniques I could work on, would be appreciated!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're grip looks really narrow, like pinkies on rings? Perhaps that's just how it looks but have you tried a wider grip? I always go index finger on ring for max singles. The wider your grip the shorter your range of motion will be.
Your legs are close by the bench, try getting them wider. Go as wide as you can, it'll give you a more stable base to get leg drive with.
It looks like your elbows tuck pretty good coming down but they flair out pretty quick coming up. It's almost like you lose it towards your face and try to save it.
Hows the arch? It looks like it's alright but hard to tell. The more you arch the shorter your range of motion will be and the more you can employ your lower pecs which are stronger(in general).
Couple suggestions there.