Saturday, August 01, 2009

Results of the 2009 Bair Gutsman

Yesterday I carbed up like crazy! I ate a whole loaf of whole wheat bread from Vozens, then had dinner at Archibald's down at Gardner Village for Kris' birthday.

This morning got up at 4:30. Got to our old Fruit Heights Meetinghouse at 5:20. Some people we knew who also did it: Dale Majors, Ladd Morrell and Jane Jensen and her boys, and Jamie Moore. The race started up Mountain road at 6:00 am. Ran up the trailhead and ended up stuck behind clusters of people. I passed at every available moment, which wasn't often since the trail is so narrow going up. About 4-5 spurts of sprinting past slow pokes walking up the mountain. I loved the breeze at the top. I was also glad we started so early as there was no sunlight on the west side of the mountain at that time.

Once I got to the top on the dirt road it was running the rest of the way. I looked at my watch and noticed that my time was just over 2 hours. I had 6 miles left and I thought to myself, "Hey you can get under 3 hours if you hustle". So I put in two Buzz Bites and ran the rest of the way which was downhill on a gravel road. I stopped to take video and pictures a few times.

When I crossed the finish line it read 2:54:38. I was very pleased with that time. I was hoping for around 3:30. I did more running and pushing it up the hill than I thought I would. At the end my ankles weren't achy and I wasn't completely exhausted. I felt great! It must have been the goat cheese I ate!

Here are the official results.

Click the image below for a video.

From Triathlons

2 comments:

Justin said...

Hi, came across your blog and was hoping to find out more about the 'Gutsman. Cant seem to find anything online. Any ideas?
Thansk,
Justin

Gords said...

The organizers don't really have a website.

What are you looking for? Here's a map.

If you go there and click on the Show Elevation checkbox in the right in the Info and Tools box, it will show the elevation profile.

Once you register, you get and email with info like where to meet and stuff, but you typically meet at the church at the bottom of Mountain Road in Fruit Heights on that Saturday morning really early.