Sunday, August 16, 2009

How to win - guest post by Adrienne Carlson

How to Win When You Play a Sport

I’m sure there are better ways to exercise, but I prefer to play a sport; to be more specific, racquetball is my poison, one I cannot do with and am addicted to. I enjoy thrashing out my daily stresses and tensions on the court, I love the rush it gives me when I play my best game, and I get high on the energy I am filled with long after the session of play is over.

Now, the problem comes when there are people around you who are competitive, those who play only to win. When this happens, most of the fun is sucked out of the game and it becomes a question of one-upmanship to see who wins. While I am fairly competitive, I am not a fanatic who absolutely has to win every single game in order to satiate and feed my ego. But once in a while I do come across people who must win if they are to leave the court in a good mood. What they fail to realize is that sports is a finicky mistress – you need a huge amount of luck to score (read win) on a regular and continuous basis.

I reserve my strategies and game plans for the few minor tournaments I take part in; only then do I feel right for my competitive nature has to take over. The way I see it, in order to win, you must:

  • Be physically fit: No amount of game-playing skill is enough to help you win a game or match if you are not physically fit. Endurance and stamina are key aspects to any sportsperson’s repertoire of skills. You must train according to your sport and develop your muscles and keep them strong so that you avoid injury.

  • Be good at the game: This goes without saying – you must be good and have the right skills in order to play well and win. But, as your opponent is also going to be as good as or even better than you, this alone is not enough. So you need to do much more than just play well.

  • Know how to out-think your opponent: The team or player that wins is not always the strongest and most skilled in the field or on the court. In fact, those who are master strategists enjoy a larger number of victories than the ones who play well. You must be one step ahead of your opponent, mentally and physically if you want to win. Think with your head rather than just reacting to your opponent’s play; make them play your game instead of you playing theirs.

  • Play with your mind: Victory is more in the mind than in your game. Even if you are down match point or if the situation is so bleak that victory seems really elusive, don’t give up. Keep fighting till the last second is done or the last point scored. Miracles happen when your mind wills it to.


By-line:

This guest article was written by Adrienne Carlson, who regularly writes on the topic of nurse practitioner schools. Adrienne welcomes your comments and questions at her email address: adrienne.carlson1@gmail.com

No comments: