Thursday, July 13, 2006

Lifting at the Roy Gold's Gym - Meeting David Edgell

This evening after scouts I rushed off to the Gold's Gym in Roy. I got there at 7:00 and didn't notice anybody huge or any group of people lifting together, so I figured I got there on their off day and started to do some benching:

Bench: 15 x 225, 8 x 275

I then noticed a couple huge guys gathering and figured I didn't miss them afterall. I went to the front desk and asked them if they knew David Edgell and they told me who it was and I went and introduced myself. David is one of the powerlifters in the state and he introduced me to Bill, another huge and strong guy who happens to live in Syracuse where I live. I also met Bryan, a marine who probably weighs close to what I do, but is nothing but muscle, so much stronger. Then there was Mickey who I think I overheard was 16 years old and the sone of another powerlifter in the area. So five of us in the group today.

David said today was back day so I joined in on the fun:

15 minute bike ride

Machine Lateral Raises:
12 x 160, 3 x 10 x 180

Rear Deltoid Machine:
12 x 100, 3 x 8 x 160

Pulldowns:
10 x 180
3 x 6 x 200

Seated Cable Rows: 4 x 8 x 200

Mid-rack pulls (Explode up, slow down, then hold weight at top for about 3-5 seconds at the top on the last rep):
5 x 135, 225, 315, 405
4 x 495
3 x 585

Curls (While Bill and David did some serious weight mid-rack pulls):
10 x 95, 6 x 115, 6 x 95, 8 x 95

Those Mid-rack pulls were fun! I've never heard of those before nor ever seen them done before. David provided spot and support for the last two sets. He told me to stop at 585 as it starts to get real heavy. David and Bill continued on to over 1000 pounds on their last couple sets (12 plates each side). These guys are huge!

The thing that suprised me with today's workout is that there was only one free weight exercise. I also was surprised at the use of wrist straps. I ended up using them definitely on the mid-rack pulls, and on the pulldowns. I was also impressed with the support the group had for each other. There were many key words used such as "Up", "Big" and "Strong". David told me that they discourage negative words and that the last word of a sentence or comment before a big lift should be positive.

David asked me if I had any medication for pain. I think he expects me to be seriously sore after this workout. I too expect to be sore, but not overly so.

I came home extremely happy with this experience and Cathi also was very supportive and said that as long as the other evenings that I'm in a good mood and helpful she wouldn't mind me going once a week. I was grateful for her thoughtfulness, but I'll try for once every other week for now. Gold's Gym isn't cheap, and I'm not sacrificing Friday's Table Tennis, so I can't expect Cathi to let me gone 2 nights a week every week. That's too much. So the next lift for me in Roy is Wednesday, July 26th where the guys will next do Bench.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Gords,

Glad you hooked up with the boys. Bill and Dave are propabably the premier guys to help you with the DL in the area. They are great on everything but the DL is their pet lift along with all of the accompanying (?) acc. work.

Good stuff! How sore did you get?

Anonymous said...

I was sore all along my back and even the little muscles in front by my collar bone. I wasn't so bad that I was in terrible pain. I probably would give the soreness a 6. Looking forward to next time.

Anonymous said...

Have you heard of any new Gyms coming to Syracuse?? I have heard some rumors of a new gym coming in but I don't know for sure. I know there is a fitnestar, a thrive fitness a curves and a boot camp already in Syracuse. Thanks!