Saturday, July 26, 2008

Water, Water Everywhere, but Not a Drop to Drink

This morning I took the scouts to Clearfield Aquatic Center to pass of the first and second class swimming requirements. I did 500 yards in laps and stopped cause they were done and started playing games. Sure reminded me of the lifeguarding days. Seems like its natural to break alot of rules. But we only got yelled at once.

In the afternoon we borrowed Steve Roberts kayak and went to Willard Bay. We set up on the beach after walking a couple hundred yards and down a steep rocky hill. Lots of stuff we took including a sun tent and camp chairs. Cathi started with the kayak and was gone for over an hour. She was so far away I couldn't even see her anymore. I wished I had my binoculars. When she got back I was ready to try it. She admitted that she wouldn't be able to be my boat backup at the Deer Creek race. She said she couldn't go more than 30 stroked before her arms were tired and that the whole time she had to take a bunch of breaks because it was hard on her arms.

When I went I was gone for 1:10 and only took about 1 minute break when I got close to where some birds went under the water. I was hoping they would come up right next to me, but they aren't dumb. I almost made it all the way across, but I promised Cathi I wouldn't be more than an hour.

When I turned around I was about 15 minutes from the other side. The thing was I was so thirsty. The sun was beating down and I didn't have any water. I kept thinking like those who might be in the ocean, "Water, Water Everywhere, but Not a Drop to Drink". Willard Bay water is gross! I wasn't about to swim in it. I got up to my knees and started seeing stuff that doesn't look it should be in the water. Probably all in my head, but the seaweed was bad too so I just kayaked today. Probably about 4 miles total.

The kids got real dirty and had a fun time on the beach burying each other and swimming. It was a great day!

No comments: