Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Mirroring Jon's Bench 1 w/ near beheading

Today I tried to do everything Jon did in his Bench 1 workout:

Bench: 5 x 5 x 265
4 Board: 5 x 275 (nearly lost my head here), 5 x 295 (only have 2,4,6 boards)
Incline: 4 x 215, 2 x 8 x 175
DB Press: 6 x 65, 2 x 8 x 65 (+ 25 DB hanging)
Abs: 7 x 25 crunches

The fives of 265 were tough. My Rhomboid's are sore (had to look that up) from yesterday's pulling.

What happened though today that has never happened to me before which completely freaked me out is that I nearly took my head off with a careless attitude with the weight. On the first set of 4 boards the five @ 275 was easy (thanks to the four boards) and when I went to rack the weight I hooked the left side and didn't on the right and the right side started to come down on me. The bar was above my board so it was coming down fast and would have missed the boards. My adrenaline kicked in like lightning I think and I was able to stop the weight and then take it back up. It only came down about halfway. Scared the crud out of me. I've got to be more respectful of the weight and take the racking seriously! Al qaeda could have posted a link to my blog had I taken video of my own beheading!

I totally respect Jon for his Inclines. I wasn't able to get the 215's. I moved the weight down to 175 and did 8 instead. I also do not have 85# DB in the Tomax gym so I strapped the 65 and the 25 DB's together with some old knee wraps which made it so that at full extension on the press the 25 barely came off the ground.

Good workout today.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a close call there with the bench. It is so true that you need to have respect for the weight. I remember when I did not respect the weight and paid for it. I was warming up with 225 on the bar, had a false grip. From the start position with arms fully overhead I dropped the weight on my chest. My chest compressed at least 4 inches, sprung back up and through the weight up having it land on my stomach.

I hurt for a good week, so much that i did not want to even breath, I thought I would die when someone made me laugh. But other then the pain there was nothing wrong.

I now have respect for the weight and the rip cage.

Glad to hear you were able to catch the weight.

Anonymous said...

You might want to bench inside a power rack / squat cage, or with squatting safety stands. I got a pretty decent cage off of ebay (new) for < $200 (with shipping).